Most of the sports injuries are sudden and happen due to a twist or a momentary pop. You feel a sudden pain and you realise something is not right.
What happens when any injury takes place slowly? The symptoms are subtle like a deep ache. Well – you need to know, this is a sign of stress fracture.
Are You At Risk?
A common question arises that, who is at the risk of such a fracture?
Bone fractures are due to accidents and can lead to an intense pain. In the case of a stress fracture, it begins with a slight hairline fissure in bone. The pain comes quite slowly and distinctly.
Such a fracture usually occurs in the feet and lower limbs. Thus, athletes suffer from such a stress quite often. They are quite vulnerable. Soccer players, basketball players, runners and dancers are quite at risk.
In case of athletes, this can occur when a certain part of their training undergoes a change. It can be a new shoe or even a change in the running surface or even sudden long hours of training, usually before an event or a race.
Different Signs You Need To Watch Out
You need to know the different signs of a stress fracture. If they are left undetected and are not treated on time, things can get really worse.
Symptoms To Look Out For:
- Deep pain in a joint or limb
- Dull pain which happens whenever there is an activity or just in the middle of any activity. Such pain tends to disappear when at rest.
- The pain shows no improvement in spite of rest or with the use of RICE treatment.
- There is weakness.
- Performance gets hampered
- Progressive aching pain which tends to get worse. It occurs again and again.
- The pain is at its peak at night or during evening.
- Pain usually begins 7 days after some intense exercise and training.
Stress fractures do not need surgery. However, it needs a long duration treatment. It can take several weeks, sometimes for months and many times it requires physical activity. Rest is important too.
The good news is that if athletes follow the suggested treatment protocol and they take all the necessary steps to do away the training error which caused the stress fracture, there is complete scope for recovery.